Why produce nutrient budgets?
OVERSEER® Nutrient budgets is an agricultural management tool that assists in examining nutrient use and movements within a farm to optimise production and environmental outcomes.
The objective of the development program is to maintain and continue development of a New Zealand wide strategic farm-specific model that is ‘fair and equitable’ by:
- Capturing nutrient pathways and transfers within the farm system.
- Modelling processes where paths change using robust science processes.
- Using data that the farmer knows, or is readily available, or suitable defaults are available. The methods of capturing pathways and modelling processes must be commensurate with this data requirement.
- Maintaining consistency between farm systems by modelling all systems in an integrated model to the same scale.
- Maintaining focus on mitigation options.
OVERSEER® Nutrient budgets calculates and estimates the nutrient flows in a productive farming system and can be used to identify potential risks of environmental impacts through the calculation of nutrient loss such as run-off and leaching, and greenhouse gas emissions.
It is currently used to develop on-farm nutrient budgets, contributes to whole-of-farm nutrient management plans and, through the use of additional proprietary software, the development of farm specific fertiliser recommendations. The model also provides greenhouse gas emissions, including an LCA-type analysis, to the farm gate.
OVERSEER® Nutrient budgets is a valuable tool for a range of users, in particular farmers and their advisers. It also has a potential role informing policy that includes nutrient management in conjunction with other tools, and in the implementation of policy.
To access the model, troubleshooting pages and information about the model, go to OVERSEER model or click the following link
Access OVERSEER® Nutrient budgets
Also check troubleshooting and known bugs if you are having problems.
There are RSS feeds on the News, recent questions and trouble shooting pages.
Farm planning and OVERSEER Applications has more information on OVERSEER® Nutrient budgets and its applications to New Zealand agriculture.
(Do not use login on the bottom left of page - this is for website administration only)